Monday, September 14, 2009

Alex's Surgery

Alex had surgery on the 9th to remove a mole that he was born with on his right hand. It was getting bigger with time and the Dermatologist said it was time to remove it.

So we were up at 5am and at the hospital at 6am for our 7am surgery. Alex was such a trooper. I was afraid he would be whining because he wasn't able to have anything to drink or eat until after the procedure. He only asked me twice if he could have milk and when I said not until after the doctor fixed his hand he said ok.

Here is the mole.

The admissions bracelet.

Steve joined us right before they took Alex to the room. He took Jack to Amy's house (THANKS A MILLION Amy for taking Jack so early in the morning!!) and rushed to the hospital to see Alex.

The Nurse entered the room and asked if Alex wanted her to carry him or did he want to walk by himself. He looked at me funny and I said it was time to put the Astronaut mask on and to bring me back some moon rocks. Luckily the Nurse caught on right away and agreed and that they were to find the moon doctor so he could fix his hand. Alex was all for it and grabbed the nurses hand and walked out of the room with her. Steve and I started to walk to the waiting room and got to watch them walk down the hallway. It was so cute.... there was the Nurse holding Alex's hand and on the other side of him was the Anesthesiologist. Then there were a few Nurses and Anesthesiologist staring at him and asked us what did we do and that it was not fair that they always have the crying one. I was SO very proud of Alex that he didn't cry and that he was such a good boy. Now once he entered the surgical room... no clue what happened there but I am sure he cried. :)

The procedure took less than 15 minutes and we were called to say that he was up and that he wanted me. AAWWWW. :)

So off we went to carry him to the recovery room to watch a few cartoons and eat a Popsicle. Let me tell you I could smell the gas when Alex was talking to me and WOW it was gross!!

Alex and his Popsicle


No more mole!


Alex was back to his normal self before we left the hospital and had the rest of the day to hang out with Mom. We (yes me too) took a nice 3 hour nap and then went to pick Jack up from Amy's house.

All bandaged up so he could play outside.

So proud of his "catcher's glove"

Then the next day somehow someway his incision ripped open and we were off to Urgent Care to have the doctor look at it. An hour later and he had butterfly bandages holding the incision closed. Hopefully it will stay closed until we see the surgeon tomorrow!!
In the waiting room.
The open incision.

No comments: